Friday, February 26, 2010

A man and his dog



It's a sad day here. Jeremey and I had to make the decision to put Harley to sleep today. He was almost 11, and hopefully he had a good life. I know he's feeling no pain now, which is the important thing. He's playing and running now like he hasn't done in a while. The kids don't know yet, they just know he was taken to the doggy hospital Wednesday and wasn't doing too well. Kristen's already asking if he's going to make it, but if he isn't, are we getting another dog? What kind? Big or small? Can it live inside? (no) I guess I'll just tell them when they ask about him tonight. It's so amazing, how resiliant kids are. Resiliant. Innocent. And Positive. I hope they stay that way. Harley was given to us right after we got married, by a coworker of mine; he was 10 weeks old or so. He was my baby before my babies. And I didn't quite realize how much this decision has affected me, but knowing he feels young and free now, I guess I'll let that comfort me.

1 comment:

  1. Losing companions, even the furry kind, is tough. Knowing he in a place without pain and suffering, definitely helps. I'm sorry you guys had to put him down. That's a difficult decision to make, but you knew that it was the best. Take care!

    ReplyDelete